2012-02-04

Plastic bag reuse redux

Chances are you bring a reusable shopping bag when you go grocery shopping. Almost everyone does nowadays, much thanks to the shops. I imaging my future kids will think it strange that shopkeepers used to put all your groceries in free throw-away plastic bags, I mean, duh, what a waste, right?

But once you're browsing the isles, do you pull a little plastic bag from the roll to put your tomatoes in? Do you grab a clean bread bag while your 400 grams of freshly baked grains are being sliced by the machine?

What could be easier is that you don't have to pull a plastic bag from the roll, you don't have to look for the roll, you don't have to wait your turn because some else is taking fruit and vegetable bags from the roll. No, you can have all the bag you need right with you when you enter the store.

Here's how it goes, you come home with your groceries:


Now what I used to do is throw it all in the fridge, bags and all. Yet I learned that most fruits and vegetables will stay good longer when they are not in those bags. Also I've learned that for example red cabbage doesn't like humid places, so you're better of keeping it out of the fridge.


So everything goes into colorful bowls. Some of it goes into the fridge, some of it, like the cabbage and onions in this case, not.

Which leaves me with all these little plastic bags, and even a bread bag. So I put everything back into my trusted shopping bag:



Finally I fold it all into something that fits my coat pocket and that's it. All my indestructible plastic, ready for reuse!



I must admit that the bread bag will wear out after a few times, but it's still a nice saving.


Geen opmerkingen: